Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MORE ABOUT WAVING

In the Second World War, the Ministry of Information (or something along those lines) made a series of films to help GIs understand the British.

(The English in particular.)

I remember a lingering shot of a tall hedge with a garden gate set into it.

This, said the voice-over, might puzzle visiting Americans - until they understand tall hedges are a reaction to overcrowding. If we didn't grow protective barriers, we might be pushed off the edges of the country and into the sea. (We might even be forced to speak!)
* * * * *

The atmosphere on Mars is very thin. Sound doesn't travel. Someone talking loudly may be heard two inches away - but that's it.

Semaphore might have been useful but Mind-To-Mind communication was developed instead - so waving has fallen out of use.

* * * * *
Ming had to watch a lot of Ealing Studios films as part of his 'Class and Caste' Course.

His mum loves them.

She's charmed by humans jumping up and down, flapping both arms in the air and shouting 'Yoo Hoo' - from a long way off.

And now - excitement of excitement - at least one human is willing to wave to her - TO HER! TO HER! - She's thrilled!

* * * * *

INSTRUCTIONS WILL FOLLOW - TOMORROW!

* * * * *



_ _ _ _ _

9 comments:

Zoƫ said...

Love the idea of 'Class and Caste' classes, perhaps I could attend? It might help me avert future faux pas, or my party trick where I hop around the venue with my left foot firmly implanted in my mouth.

Barbee' said...

A delightful post, Esther.
I have been away a few days and had all those posts to read to catch up with what has been going on with you and your garden.

Ron Eklof said...

This delightful line drawing I call Esther's Yoohoo reminds of Picasso''s simple line drawing of a vase of flowers. Such expression. I love it.
Ron

Esther Montgomery said...

Zoe - the trouble is - to take a 'Class and Caste' class - you have to get to Mars first.

Esther

Esther Montgomery said...

Barbee - glad you're back - have missed your comments her (on Esther in the Garden) and on other blogs too.

Esther

Esther Montgomery said...

Ron - I hadn't expected ever to be compared with Picasso!

Esther

themanicgardener said...

Definitely delightful. And I too loved the drawing. Someone--maybe Ming?--should start "Class and Caste" classes for earth-bound humans.

I think I know why you didn't win the inky fingers Fork n'Monkey award: they couldn't give you two.
--kate

Amy said...

Ha ha! A class on how to wave! I don't think mind to mind communication would be good for my family - they'd hear too many of the things I stop myself from saying just in time :)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

So Ming's mom has turned up?
I'm willing to be open minded, as long as I don't have to stand on the roof to wave. (I'm reminded of Monty Python's semaphore "Wuthering Heights." "Oh, Heathcliffe!")